The terms bench, booth, and banquet seating are used interchangeably in restaurant spaces with a specific style and seating that the restaurant space focuses on.
Benches and banquettes are a stylish seating solution for restaurant areas, cafes, bars and nightclubs. Banquet or fixed seating, on the other hand, is space-saving, cozy and intimate seating where guests can eat, drink and enjoy their time in private. When determining the seating arrangement for your restaurant, it is very important to understand the different types, styles and materials of restaurant booths.
Here is a guide to choosing the perfect restaurant seating to make your dining space functional and aesthetic.
Why choose banquet seating?
When designing a restaurant interior, it is very important that the furniture is not all on one level. This creates a differentiating factor that makes the restaurant space look more like a dormitory or canteen when all the furniture is at the same height.
Banquet seating allows for the introduction of more height-based furniture, giving it some upgrade in terms of design and aesthetics.
Banquet seating can also be used to maintain foot traffic in the restaurant area and allow hotel staff to work efficiently without major disruption. Likewise, it can be used to divide a space, for example to separate the restaurant from a bar area, or to separate a dining area from the restaurant.
Choosing the right upholstery for banquet seating is particularly important as the use of solid color fabric can sometimes look uninteresting and spoil the overall aesthetic of the interior design. To add a bit of volume and texture, it’s a good idea to introduce two-tone fabrics, buttoned backs, fluted or piped upholstery to your restaurant’s interior design.
Given that more food and drink is served on banquet chairs than loose chairs, many designers opt for faux leather upholstery that is easy to wipe clean.
At UHS International , we have a variety of options for your restaurant space to create a more contemporary aesthetic.
- This is how you structure banquet seating
Well designed banquet seating, with a little creativity, can often turn some of the most boring spaces in a restaurant into the most popular areas.
Lighting also plays an important role and the lux level should always be appropriate for this purpose. Large pendant lights above bar or restaurant banquet seating influence guest seating choices.
Banquet and seating benches are the perfect solutions to add a classy look to your restaurant, cafe, club lounge or any commercial space.
Here are some benefits of bench and banquet seating for restaurants:
- Banquets are a perfect option for crowded dining areas.
This type of seating spans every inch of free wall space. The U-shaped banquette maximizes seating and table space. UHS International ‘s button back style banquet seating comes with either a wooden base, wooden legs or a metal leg frame and is perfect for any hotel lounge and can be made to a specific size if required.
- Banquet seating is comfortable.
Many restaurants are adapting banquet-style benches, as they can be used flexibly both as a seating area and as banquet seating. It’s also very comfortable and luxurious. This type of seating offers a personal experience and one can avoid colliding with nearby passers-by. UHS International’s London Leather Banquette is the number one choice when it comes to such seating. With a classic design and a luxurious look, they are the ideal seating for high-traffic facilities. Suitable for commercial purposes. They are leather banquet seats with a fluted back, fitted with either a wooden base, wooden legs or a metal leg frame.
- Banquet seating can add beauty to any venue.
Banquet seating is often unique because of its particularity. As it is usually custom made for the space, it usually has nice touches and bespoke features such as storage in the banquettes, bookshelves above or below etc. The features that can be added to bespoke banquet seating increase the functionality of the space and increase the efficiency of the room in which it is placed Parisian banquet sofa by UHS International is a perfect example of wood banquet seating that will add a classic look to any commercial space. A banquet sofa with a roll top back, available with either a wooden base, wooden legs or a metal leg frame. The high back allows it to be transformed into a more private space. The clean lines and deceptively simple design of this banquet sofa suit a sophisticated, modern interior.
Why choose cabin seating?
Bench seating in restaurant spaces is a very popular choice. They offer comfortable seating, pleasing aesthetics and an intimate dining experience, making them an attractive addition to dining venues.
Why are booths an excellent place to sit in a restaurant?
- Cabin seating reduces traffic and eliminates the need for waiters to circle all four sides of a table
- Feel more comfortable and aesthetic than traditional table seats
- Offer your customers more privacy
- Available in a variety of colors, styles and designs
The initial cost of booth seating may be higher, but over the long term, booths offer one of the most cost- and space-efficient arrangements you can choose for your dining room.
Here are 4 quick tips for choosing the perfect restaurant dining alcoves
When choosing seating for your restaurant, consider the style, materials, and shape of the booth.
- Match the style of the stand to the overall aesthetic of the restaurant
Restaurant niches give a glimpse into your space and enhance your existing interior design elements. They range from plain back, country style, buttoned back, beaded board, V back, channel back, and fan back. Each style represents a different interior design theme. For example:
- V-back alcoves are well suited for a retro restaurant.
- Button-down booths give a more sophisticated look to an upscale restaurant.
- Beadboard dining alcoves are perfect for churches and other communal gathering spaces.
- Choose the right material for your restaurant stand
It is very important to choose the material of the stand according to the design and the type of restaurant. In addition to the style, the material of the stand also influences the overall atmosphere in a restaurant space. Different materials serve different purposes and primarily serve to improve the visual aesthetics and comfort of the cabin. For example:
- Classic wooden booths are made of easy-to-clean wood and give your restaurant space a modern and rustic look.
- Laminate booths feature an easy-to-clean, sturdy wooden frame and are most commonly used in restaurants and bars.
- Upholstery, such as vinyl or fabric, is used to cover the foam padding on both the seat bottom and backrest of the cabin’s wood frame, creating a comfortable dining experience. For example, in a family-friendly restaurant, vinyl-lined booths can remove stains that are likely to occur around children.
- Consider the number of people that will fit in each cabin shape
- Single Cabin – A bench cabin. Comfortably accommodates up to two people side by side.
- Double Cabin – Up to 4 people, with 2 people sitting next to each other and 2 more back to back.
- ½ Circle Stand – Standard dimensions are 48 x 90 x 48 inches. Can accommodate 4 people.
- ¾ Circle Stand – The standard dimensions of 48″ x 90″ x 90″ x 48″ can accommodate 6 people.
- Wall Bench – This stand comes in a variety of lengths and is usually paired with restaurant table and chair sets, providing comfortable seating and enough island space for waiters and guests.
- L-Shaped Stand – Mainly used in corners and allows for optimal use of space.
- Deuce Single Cab – Similar to a single cabin but with a length of 30 inches instead of 48 inches. Known as a single cabin (sits 1 person).
- Deuce Double Cab – Is 30 inches long as opposed to the standard double cab which is 48 inches long. Allows two people to sit back to back.
- Know the stand components and their terminology
- Top Cap: The bar is located on top of the cab
- Head roll: Additional foam cushion for the head for comfortable sitting
- End Cap: Located on the side of the stand
- Back: Additional foam pillow to support the back to keep guests comfortable
- Crumb strips: Between the backrest and cushion for easy cleaning
- Seat: Seating area of the cabin
- Baseboard: Located just below the pillow and made of the same material
- Piping Cord: Added piping for strength and style
- Toe bump: On the underside of the cabin around the foot area to prevent wear
- Base: The foundation of the restaurant stand
Banquet seating can be converted into comfortable private cabins and adjusted with bench seating to accommodate crowds. This makes this type of seating multifunctional and increases the efficiency of busy business premises.